Bosch in India
About Bosch in India
With a legacy of 100 years, Bosch India is a leading supplier of technology and services in the areas of Mobility Solutions, Industrial Technology, Consumer Goods, and Energy and Building Technology. Additionally, Bosch has, in India, the largest development center outside Germany, for end to end engineering and technology solutions.
The Bosch Group operates in India through thirteen companies, viz, Bosch Limited, Bosch Chassis Systems India Private Limited, Bosch Rexroth (India) Private Limited, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Solutions Private Limited, Bosch Automotive Electronics India Private Limited, Bosch Electrical Drives India Private Limited, BSH Home Appliances Private Limited, ETAS Automotive India Private Limited, Robert Bosch Automotive Steering Private Limited, Automobility Services and Solutions Private Limited, Newtech Filter India Private Limited and Mivin Engg.Technologies Private Limited and Precision Seals Manufacturing Limited. In India, Bosch set-up its first sales agency in 1922 in Kolkata and started its manufacturing operation in 1951, which has grown over the years to include 18 manufacturing sites, and seven development and application centers.
Facts and figures
Bosch Group in India employs over 31,500 associates and generated consolidated sales of about ₨.19,996 crores* (2.54 billion euros) in fiscal year 2020 of which ₨. 14,011 crores*(1.78 billion euros) are from consolidated sales to third parties. The Bosch Group in India has close to 15,650 research and development associates. In India, Bosch Limited is the flagship company of the Bosch Group. It earned revenue of over ₨. 19,996 crores* (2.54 billion euros) in 2020.
Managing Director, Bosch Limited & Regional President, Bosch Group in India
Soumitra Bhattacharya has been associated with the Bosch Group for more than 24 years. A Chartered Accountant by profession, over the years he has handled roles as varied as Vice President, Commercial Functions for the Nashik and Jaipur plants of Bosch in India and also served as the General Manager of Robert Bosch GmbH’s Feuerbach Plant, the company’s largest diesel systems manufacturing facility and one of its oldest.
He was the CFO of Bosch India from 2011 till 2018 and, in 2016, took over the CEO role as well. He is currently the Managing Director of Bosch Limited and the President of Bosch Group in India. As Managing Director of Bosch Limited, he handles a unique role heading the only publicly listed company in the Bosch Group worldwide.
A firm believer in collaboration and the importance of teamwork in building innovative, future-ready organizations, Soumitra is currently spearheading a transformative initiative at Bosch India to ensure the organization becomes a leading provider of IoT solutions while leveraging its unrivalled expertise in operational and manufacturing excellence. The ultimate aim of this transformation initiative, named Lakshya, is to make Bosch India a tech agnostic provider of holistic solutions that are affordable and India-specific innovations.
Soumitra has a keen interest in start-ups and new businesses – prior to Bosch, he had worked at the TATA group where he was the founding member of the Tanishq brand for the Titan Company Ltd. He also worked at INDAL, the core aluminum business of the ALCAN group, and he was also a founding member of its electronics business.
Cross-cultural exchange and international relations between Europe and Asia have been areas where Soumitra has an active interest. He has been able to contribute positively to building stronger commercial ties between Europe and India when serving in executive management positions at Bosch’s facilities in Germany and Turkey.
During his stints as Chairman (2013-2014) for the Karnataka State Council for CII in India (Confederation of Indian Industry) and as current Co-Chair for Skills Committee-CII at the National Level and as a CII National Council Member, Soumitra has been able to further share his passion for business excellence, building agile corporate environments, economics and finance. He has also spoken and given lectures on these and other topics at some of the world’s leading management institutions and business forums.
He is married to Dr. (Mrs.) Chandana Bhattacharya who runs her own NGO. His son Aditya works in the US while his daughter Ayesha is embarking on a legal career. Outside of work, his interests include travelling, sports, photography and social service.
Board of Management, Bosch Limited
Joint Managing Director of Bosch Limited and Chief Technology Officer of Bosch Limited
Guruprasad Mudlapur, Joint Managing Director of Bosch Limited with responsibility for Chief Technology Officer of Bosch Limited, Bangalore, has been associated with BOSCH Group since 2008 and has held various roles in engineering and business management.
At Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Solutions, he headed Electronics engineering and was responsible for the entire Electronics Control Unit design & development as the Vice President. He was the Regional President and Managing director of Bosch Automotive Electronics Pvt Ltd (RBAI) responsible for the Automotive Electronics business in India.
Since January 2018, he also heads the project house for Electrification within Bosch India and is responsible for Electrification Engineering unit set-up and building future ready competencies for Electric Light Commercial vehicles, Passenger cars, Hydrogen Internal combustion Engines and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles.
Prior to joining Bosch, he was with NXP Semiconductors at Singapore and The Netherlands in the area of Semiconductor development for Mobile, Personal Communication and Digital Televisions for almost 15 years.
Mr. Guruprasad holds a bachelor’s degree in Electronics Engineering from Bangalore University in 1988 and has completed EGMP at IIM-B in 2011. He is married with two sons. He is an avid cyclist and enjoys reading during his spare time.
Career Stages in BOSCH group:
• 2008 General Manager, HW & Semiconductor Engineering, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Solutions Private Limited
• 2013 Vice President, Electronics Control Unit design & development, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Solutions Private Limited
• 2016 Regional President & Managing Director of Bosch Automotive Electronics India Private Limited
• 2018 Head - Project House Electrifications, Bosch Limited
• 2021 Senior Vice President, Chief Technology Officer, Bosch Limited
• 2022 Joint Managing Director, Bosch Limited
Executive Vice President, Sales, Bosch Limited India
Sandeep N is Executive Vice President, Sales, Bosch Limited India (IN/ES IN/EO) India, from January 1 2020 onwards.
Sandeep N was born in 1971 in Bangalore, India. He is married and has a son. After completion of under graduation in 1988, he studied mechanical engineering at the University of Mysore.
He has a keen interest in sketching, traveling and reading (with specific interest in world history and Indology).
Career milestones in the Bosch Group
• 1992 - Technical Graduate Trainee, Bosch Limited, India
• 1994 - Regional OE Sales account for Cummins Engines Company, USA
• 1997 - Resident Engineer in Bosch, Diesel Systems (Stuttgart, Germany)
• 1999 - Bosch resident engineer in Cummins Engines Company, USA
• 2001 - Regional Sales account for Diesel Systems (Tata Motors, Mahindra)
• 2007 - Key account sales responsibility for Bosch Diesel Systems Passenger Car India
• 2008 - Additional key account responsibility for Gasoline Systems, India
• 2011 - Regional President for Gasoline Systems India
• 2015 - Additional responsibility for 2 wheeler and power sports business in India
• 2016 - Senior Vice President Business Unit Fuel Injection, Gasoline Systems Division, Germany
• 2019(Sept 20th) - He is a Non-Executive Director of ZF Steering Gear (India) Limited
Executive VP, Head of Manufacturing Strategy and Quality Head of Manufacturing Operations Powertrain Solutions India
Karsten Mueller, Executive VP, Head of Manufacturing Strategy and Quality, Head of Manufacturing Operations Powertrain Solutions India, has been associated with the Bosch Group since 1991.
His professional passion is developing manufacturing towards world class level through advanced and connected manufacturing approaches based on a clear understanding of lean manufacturing principles.
He believes that Key for success is the development of people towards this understanding and creating a data driven improvement organization in which all associates and leaders act as self-responsible entrepreneurs.
Career milestones in the Bosch Group
• 1991 – Hildesheim Plant Germany (Starter Motors and Batteries): Member of the junior manager Program
• 1992 – Cardiff Plant GB (Alternators): Manufacturing Engineer ramp up of new stator line for Compact Alternators
• 1993 – Hildesheim Plant Germany (Starter Motors and Batteries): Assistant to SVP technical Plant Manager, Introduction of Mini Factories at Plant
• 1995 – Hildesheim Plant Germany (Starter Motors and Batteries): Manufacturing Engineer Machining and Cold Forging
• 1996 – Daian Plant, Denso Japan: Exchange Engineer at ABS Manufacturing, studies of lean Manufacturing
• 1998 – Hildesheim Plant Germany (Starter Motors and Batteries): Leader Mini Factory of Transmission Gear
• 2002 – Hildesheim Plant Germany (Starter Motors and Batteries): Department Lead of 4 Mini Factories
• 2004 – Stuttgart Corporate Headquarter: VP, Introduction of Bosch Production System
• 2006 – Homburg Plant Germany (Diesel Systems): VP, Section Manager Common Rail Products Passenger Cars
• 2011 – Jihlava Plant, Czech Republic (Diesel Systems): SVP, Technical Plant Manager
• 2018 – Powertrain Systems Headquarter: SVP, Head of Manufacturing Strategy Worldwide
• 2020 – Robert Bosch India Limited: SVP, Head of Manufacturing Strategy and Quality, Head of Manufacturing Operations Powertrain Solutions India
In this capacity he also heads Safety, Security, and Crisis Management in Bosch India.
Mr. Karsten Mueller, born on 08th August 1965 in Hannover, Germany, is a mechanical engineering degree holder from Technical University Hannover. He has been working for Bosch for 29 years. Mr. Mueller started his career in Bosch as a junior management program member in Hildesheim plant, Germany. During these 29 years of association, he has worked in several management positions mainly in Manufacturing, Quality, Safety, Project Management and Corporate functions. His last position was Senior Vice President responsible for worldwide Manufacturing Strategy at Powertrain Solutions caring for more than 50 sites worldwide. He has varied experience in the divisions like Electrical Drives, Powertrain Solutions and Corporate HeadquartersBosch Production System Mr. Mueller has worked in countries like in Great Britain for 1 year, in the Czech Republic for 4 years, in Japan for 2 years. From Jan 2020, he has started his assignment in India.
Mr. Mueller is married and has 2 sons. Mr. Mueller likes Sports, he has played Filed-hockey on an international level in earlier times and recently moved to Golf which gives him and his wife the opportunity to spend time together while enjoying, being outside and being active.
The Bosch Group encompasses a number of different brands which are tailored to individual market requirements, and whose products and services are also designed to improve quality of life. Explore these brands below: